Thursday, October 25, 2012

Choice Post

Welcome back to another week of Marriage & Familia In Tact! (Yes, I purposely wrote familia)
This week I decided to do my choice post on an article  I read that I actually REALLY REALLY liked. The author began talking about how when he went away to college he thanked his parents for everything they had done for him in his 18 years. He realized how much his parents had given him and took the opportunity every now and again to tell them he loved them. He then goes on to talk about how many teens today don't follow the 5th Commandment. All you Catholics out there should know which one that is! Am I right? *spoiler: "Honor your father and mother* The author goes to speak to young adults about the importance of honoring, respecting, and thanking our parents. He then says how when his father died, he knew he had expressed his love for his dad while he was alive, but wondered if his dad ever really knew how much. He then wrote a long tribute for his mother and tell her now how much he appreciated and loved her. He encourages his readers to do the same for their parents.

I think this article says a lot about the relationship of a child and their parent(s). I think it's extremely important to let our parents know how we feel about them, how we thank them for all they have done for us. All the sacrifices and struggles, they did it for us. That is truly one of the greatest loves of all in my eyes. I think we need to reevaluate ourselves before we let a stupid comment slip when we talk to our parents. Yes, they make tick us off, but that is definitely no reason to disrespect them. Been there, regretted that. 

As I'm getting older I'm realizing how important family is, how they become one of your only life lines and you'll depend on them much more as you get older, but you also have to separate yourself from them to find your own independence. Having a perfect balance of both, interdependence, will allow us for a a successful relationship with our parents. 
I think before the end of my senior year, I will also write a tribute to my parents. They deserve it.


No comments:

Post a Comment